Food Safety Course FAQ’s

Most of the information you may want to know about our courses can be found in these frequently asked questions (FAQs). If there is something else you want to know, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Who is the Australian Institute of Accreditation?

What a great question! The Australian Institute of Accreditation is an education technology company dedicated to providing innovative accredited Vocational Education and Training (VET) solutions, especially regarding the delivery of online Food Safety training. We are also a nationally registered training organisation (RTO), ID # 45009. We have worked closely with major national retail fast food businesses and bring a wide range of industry experience to the development of our exceptional food safety courses.

We combine our knowledge of producing powerful software solutions with a deep understanding of how people learn to develop industry leading online food safety programs. We partner with Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) to provide national accreditation for the courses that we deliver.

What’s the difference between a Food Handler and a Food Safety Supervisor?
Food Safety Supervisors need to undertake more comprehensive food safety training than Food Handlers. Food Safety Supervisors require Level 1 and Level 2 training whereas Food Handlers only need Level 1 training (or its equivalent). Both types of training can be undertaken through online courses. Both are accredited courses and require that you are observed completing certain practical tasks in the workplace.

In Queensland, Victoria, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory, there are laws that state that at least one person from every food business must be nominated as Food safety Supervisor, in order to allow the business to trade legally.

What is the difference between the Food Safety Supervisor and Food Safety Supervisor (Retail) courses?

Food Safety Supervisor qualifications in Australia are industry specific. Both of these courses are nationally recognised as meeting the requirements for a person to be regarded as a Food Safety Supervisor. The food sector your business falls into will guide which courses you may choose to complete to ensure training is relevant to your business. Typical retail businesses include supermarkets, convenience stores, grocers, and delicatessens. Typical hospitality businesses include restaurants, cafes and hotels, where Take away and fast food businesses are generally considered either retail or hospitality food businesses.

For the Food Safety Supervisor (Hospitality) course, you will be awarded two units of competency on your SOA, SITXFSA001 Use hygiene practices for food safety and SITXFSA002 Participate in safe food handling practices. For the Food Safety Supervisor (Retail) course, you will be awarded one unit of competency, SIRRFSA001 – Handle food safely in a retail environment

What happens after I have paid for my course online?
Once payment has been received, your online login instructions and receipt of payment will be immediately sent to you via email and you can start your course at any time (GST is not charged for accredited training courses in Australia). Should you have any questions regarding how to access your course, please contact us.
Why do I need a Workplace Observation Report and who completes it?
One of the rules we need to meet in order to provide nationally recognised certificates and qualifications, is that students are required to be observed completing practical job tasks, relevant to the certificate that they are completing. To make it easy on you, rather than request you to come into a classroom or for specific tasks to be completed at work, captured on video and uploaded (which is sometimes hard to do in the workplace because of privacy laws), we have developed a unique, 100% online Workplace Observation Report. This simple online checklist can be sent from directly within your course to whoever you choose.

All you need to do is supply a name and email address of someone in your workplace that you have been working alongside who is in the position to make valid comments on your performance, with no more for you to do. The person you nominate should have at least 12 months experience in food service and preparation, or be a supervisor/team leader/manager of a food establishment. They do not need to hold a food safety qualification themselves to complete the report.

If you are not currently working in the industry and you do not have access to an operational commercial kitchen, you might consider volunteering for some shifts in your local area at a cafe, bar, restaurant deli etc to complete this workplace observation component. Alternatively, if you have worked in a food business previously, then you may want to consider contacting your previous employer or a suitable work colleague who can complete the report based on their past observations.

What is the approximate time it takes to complete the courses?

All of our courses are designed to be accessed anytime, anywhere and suit how you like to learn. The length of each course will vary on the individual, depending on your prior knowledge and how you learn. In general, it takes approximately 2-3 hours to complete each of the Food Handling Certificate courses, and on average, about 3-4 hours to complete the Food Safety Supervisor courses.

You do not need to complete the course in the same day, or in one long session. You can space it out to suit how you like to learn. If you are looking to fast track your learning though, it is not uncommon for people to sign up and complete in the same day. We allow you 8 weeks to complete your course, so there is no need to rush.

In which states and territories will my Statement of Attainment be recognised?
If you complete an accredited course with us, you will receive a Statement of Attainment that is recognised across all states and territories of Australia. We also are an approved provider of the NSW government Food Safety Supervisor certificates which you will require if you want to work as a Food Safety Supervisor in New South Wales.
When will I receive my Statement of Attainment?
Once you have successfully completed your entire course, we will send out your hard copy Statement of Attainment to you in the post the next business days after your date of completion. Please note, that any unclaimed certificates that are returned to us by Australia Post are available to be resent to you for a $20 postage and handling fee.
What are the system requirements I require to complete the course?

  1. Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox – latest versions recommended
  2. JavaScript enabled
  3. Cookies enabled


  1. PDF viewer
Can International Students Enroll In This Course?

No. AIA is not an approved CRICOS provider. International Students on a subclass 500 study visa will need to apply to a CRICOS approved provider.